Thursday, November 10, 2011

Podcasts for ESL students


In my opinion, podcasting is one of the best tools for ESL students. It is a great way to practice listening and pronunciation skills. There are tons of different podcasts on the internet that are extremely useful for English language learners and as an ESL teacher in Argentina, I was able to integrate some of them into my lessons for my students. I particularly liked using BBC for podcasts. For this class, I decided to explore some new podcasts that I'm unfamiliar with and came across English as a Second Language podcasts by searching in google. I came across a podcast episode, English Café 319 that is about T.S. Eliot, a famous American. This particular podcast would be really helpful in a more intermediate or advanced ESL class where the students are learning U.S. History. I like how they give a little explanation of what is going to be talked about in the podcast as well as a list of key vocabulary terms that you can look at or look up while listening. I also like how they focus on not only the story of T.S. Eliot but pronouncing consonant clusters which occur a lot in this podcast. Not only is this podcast good for listening, but also for vocabulary expansion and pronunciation practice.

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

Since you are already familiar with the usefulness of having students listen to podcasts, I'm glad to know that you have found another good site to find good ones. Like you I also think that creating a podcast is a great way to have students focus on their speaking skills.